Don't let the door hit you on the way out {ReBlog}

Reblogged from TezMillerOz:

Damn. Well, I was going to blog about how I admired that the author hadn't deleted her posts. Obviously I won't be crediting her for that now because of what I just saw (click the title of this post - will take you to the URL):

"I have deleted my posts because my publisher asked me to and they are very busy and do not have time to deal with the hysteria I apparently whipped up. But you puzzle me. Because I don't think it's rude or outrageous to remind people that I'm human and that I have a family and that I am not an automated customer service hotline who is here to service your needs. It saddens me that a public person drawing boundaries inspires such an outpouring of hate. I would much rather spend my time responding to thoughtful reader questions than boneheaded ones. Call me crazy. Anyone who knows me understands the lengths I will go to for my fans. And I'm sorry but if you're asking me to list the order of my books you are wasting both of our time. Seriously. Think about it. I will not pretend to be someone I'm not. It doesn't feel safe here anymore. And for that I am sorry. But I don't apologize for a single word of my earlier posts. I have met some amazing excellent people on this page. I've enjoyed knowing you. Goodnight."

In other words, she's not sorry, because she doesn't believe she did anything wrong.

Authors like her make these mistakes, but you can learn from those mistakes. Public opinion matters - it can mean the difference between earning out your advance (and earning royalties) or not. Because if the public doesn't spend enough money to justify what your publisher pays you...then good luck getting as lucrative a contract in the future.

And yes, the publisher clearly thought she'd done something wrong, otherwise they wouldn't have requested that she take down her posts. Publishers know business, and they know that public opinion matters.

Being a published author may be a dream job, but it also has its downsides. You have to take the bad with the good. The fact is, while she had a decent point, they way she expressed her thoughts - and refusal to apologise for the way she presented them - is totally unprofessional.

I'll be blogging more on this soon, and will present an example of how she could've worded her thoughts without turning public opinion against her.